Saturday, February 13, 2010

Thai Hard: With A Vengeance

Last December (yes, there is a slight delay between what happens in my life and the point at which it eventually bursts headfirst out of the womb and onto the internet, where it is promptly spanked and swaddled), I was fortunate enough to be asked by one of our teams at work to go to Thailand with them to lead a training / team-building session over a few days. Naturally, I leaped at the opportunity like a starving lion at a sickly gazelle. I had been through the airport in Bangkok before, but had never actually left (which was not a bad thing - it resulted in many hours of inexpensive massages as I was waiting for my flight).

The offsite was to be held in Phuket, specifically Patong Beach, a somewhat resort-y area along the coast. No matter, it was all part of the adventure. I met a few of my Sydney coworkers at the airport at just a little after 4 AM. As a side note, there are times when it is wise to disregard the 'arrive at the airport a few hours early for international flights' rule. One such of these times is when your departure airport doesn't open until 5:30 AM. If you think it's painful passing time inside of an airport, doing the same staring wistfully through the closed glass doors from the outside is an entirely new level of patience-testing annoyance altogether.

After checking in and boarding, we set off on our 12-hour flight, which connected in Perth. For once, it was good to have the company while travelling - these guys were an eclectic mix of funny, cynical, level-headed, and more funny. When we reached Phuket, we found the van that had been arranged to pick us up and take us to the resort.

Arrival! Thank goodness for English translations
- my Thai is a little rusty.

I am enamored with the idea of mini-restaurants
attached to a motor bike. It's almost like the
flying boat restaurant in The Fifth Element.
Almost.

A temple of something along the side of the road.
We blazed by it so fast that I didn't have time to
read the sign, much less translate it.

There were quite a few of these small kite stands
along the side of the road. Anytime it's windy /
I see a kite, it makes me realize I need a kite.
Kites purchased to-date: Zero.

Waiting at the intersection, there was a large
LED numeric display which was counting down.
I don't really know what its purpose was, as the
traffic seemed to go arbitrarily as the numbers
ticked down.

Some fascinating reading material in our van.
Note the kid in the lower-right who appears
to be barely pushing 4 years old.

This road looks like it was in the midst of a
major earthquake. It wasn't. I don't think...

Descending into Patong Beach. Note the 'eh, just
string another wire up there' phone lines.

The Phuket Carnival sounded kind of interes-
OMG THEY HAVE LITTLE GERHARD
AND ROCK-BORIS PLAYING?!

Buy me dinner first. (insert phone number)

Finally arriving at the Novotel in Patong Beach!
It was in a great location right across the street
from the beach.

The view from reception - I don't recall how
many pools there were. Something between
2 and 3,144.

Sunset on the first evening. I would have taken
the picture from my room, but there about 154
hastily-strung phone lines blocking the view.
Instead, I ran downstairs (which ended up being
something like 3,000 steps, as we were at the
top of a hill), across the street, and onto the
beach to get this.

A pretty lily pond in the hotel. The hotel was
quite nice - the rooms had A/C, which made it
exceptionally difficult to leave them.

The view away from the city. Actually just a
composite image I made of Positano and Isla
Nublar from Jurassic Park.

As the sun went down, the city lights lit up.

You know what really makes me sad? The fact
that Thailand actually celebrates Christmas
more than Australia does. I am so disappointed
in you, Australia.

So, remember that sign for the Phuket Carnival that I mentioned earlier? Well as it turns out, it's actually kind of a big deal.

The streets were packed with cars, people,
food stalls, more people...I could have gotten
an entire suit tailored for about $100.

I wouldn't quite call this the same level of
culture shock as in Hyderabad, but it was close.
One guy on the street tried to put on an Aussie
accent to ask if I wanted a suit. He then addressed
my friend Bryan as 'dawg.'

Shortly after this, a massive flock of bald eagles
lowered Bruce Springsteen from the sky onto a
giant papier-mâché apple pie as he played the
star-spangled banner on his guitar.

Awesome - some entertainment as we ate dinner
outside. I've always thought fire-spinning would
be an interesting hobby. But not enough to
actually do it.

A massive bottle of the local brew. And eyes
going all Marty Feldman.

Dinner was tasty - adding to the ambiance was a
local who was singing a number of American Top
40 hits from the 80s and 90s. It's like they knew
I was coming or something.

Meanwhile, back at the hotel...

I felt a bit guilty taking a picture of this, but its
just not something I've had to worry about
before. Plus, the sign is a bit misleading, as it
appears to be instructing you to run toward
the wave.

I had a few hours to kill while the team was doing their own business thing, so I got a massage (the first of 3) and headed over to check out the beach while I was waiting.

The beach was beautiful - and the sand was white
enough to make for perfect camouflage. It was
the wonky kind of beach where they make you
pay for a chair, though. Why would I bring money
to the beach?

Looking the other way - the water was lovely,
unlike Dubai where it was only 1 or 2 degrees
less warm (not cooler) than the surrounding air.

That evening, we were all going out for a special dinner. Details were scarce, but there was something mentioned about elephants. When we arrived, I wasn't quite sure what to think. When we left many, many hours later, I still wasn't sure what to think.

The best way I can think of to describe FantaSea
(which actually has nothing sea-related in it)
is how Disneyland would look if it were designed
by someone with an intense, seething hatred of
epileptic people. Oh, and that person is also Thai.

One must never gaze into the eyes of Mara,
or else one is sent on a 3 minute and 25 second
journey through a temple where they are saved
by a hatted man with a whip (and are then
given the option of waiting in line for another
90 minutes to do it again).

A map of the park. It did not help. At all.

The entry gate to the park. Loosely-translated,
I believe the signage says 'abandon all hope,
ye who enter here.'

We still haven't gone in yet - this is all still outside
of the park.

If you look really closely, you can see my eye
twitching.

Finally entering the park and- OH JESUS WHAT
THE HELL IS THAT? Thai clowns are infinitely
more menacing than U.S. clowns.

I think I had a dream like this once.

In all honestly, it was like walking through
a cartoon land. And not the friendly, feasible
cartoon land like at Disneyland. A stretching-
the-limits-of-your-imagination cartoon land.

Yes, kids, it's Yak Attack! Now you, too,
can be assaulted by a geometric gremlin
with a glazed twist donut...

...and add that little extra bit of holiday cheer
to your wardrobe...

...and...ok, I give up.

Yep - definitely had a dream like this before.
Probably after an evening of eating strong
cheeses and playing Monopoly.

Classy. So perhaps this is where the adults hang
out?

I got to touch an elephant!
*crosses 'touch an elephant' off to-do list*

There was a bridge over a body of water into the
main dining area, and the water was filled with
more of these fish than I could count. Each was a
solid 5 feet long. I actually don't know what these
are, but presumably they are some sort of man-
eating fish. That's what you put in a moat, right?

Dinner was amazing and consisted of a massive
buffet full of foods that I couldn't even begin to
tell you what was in them. Curries, gelatinous
dessert things, rice...so good.

The artwork in the restroom even had a certain
charm to it.

With dinner finished, we left and wandered over
to the main temple.

Sadly, this is where the photographic journey ends, as they didn't allow pictures to be taken inside. The line snaked through a plethora of tunnels akin to those found on the Indiana Jones ride, and was dotted with diversions, such as 'Have your picture taken with a baby tiger for $20!' and the like. Surprisingly, I declined - a struggling tiger cub was just not at the top of the list of 'Things I Would Like to Hold This Evening.' Anyway, on to the show. I had no idea what to expect, but it ended up being some sort of Cirque du Soleil-esqe show with a bunch of elephants. Quite entertaining, actually - though I made the mistake of going into it with a belly full of delicious food, which was all well and good until they got to the relaxing flute mus-Zzzzzzzzzzz...

Fortunately, I was not the only one to admit nodding off once or twice or a dozen times. It was all very serene and relaxing, and the parts I did see I rather enjoyed. Then it was home for one more evening before the long journey back to Sydney.

All in all, I really enjoyed Thailand, and would not hesitate to go back. The food was delicious, the signage entertaining, and the massages plentiful (I got a 30-minute foot massage in the airport before we left).

No comments: