Sunday, December 6, 2009

South West Rocks - Once more, with feeling!

Early last month, I took another trip to South West Rocks (which, coincidentally, is to the North and East - figure that one out). I had gone on the exact same trip exactly a year before, so I had high hopes again for this second time. While the weather was a bit less stunning than it was the last year, and the dive conditions a tiny bit less ideal, I had a spectacular time overall on the trip.

Here are some underwater shots from the dives - bear in mind that I am not a professional photographer (clearly) and forgot to set the red filter setting on my camera...whoops...

This is a bull ray - a massive stingray. Some of
the larger ones I've seen have been upward of
6 feet across.

A bit difficult to see, but just as we hopped into
the water, a massive school of eagle rays swam by.

I never get tired of turtles - this one was cozying
up with a wobbegong in a little nook. Sorry, guys,
didn't mean to interrupt.

A different hawksbill turtle in action.

One of a couple octopuses we saw on our dives.

There were also a ton of eels on our dives (more
so than last time). I know, little fella - it ain't easy
being green.

I must have fixed my camera at some point - the
colors on this octopus are a bit better.

I swam around for days trying to get a decent
picture of this puffer fish. It just did not want
to be photographed.

More eely goodness. I'm fairly certain I was
tempting fate by getting up in these guys' faces.

This is Naren standing up on the boat as we
headed back from the dive site. Needless to say,
it was a bit splashy.

Another, different eel, this one being all spotty.
Is it just me, or are their nose nodules a little
weird?

A wobbegong (which is a type of shark) - there
were some massive ones this time around, a few
reaching close to 10 feet long and about 3 feet wide.

I didn't touch up this photo at all simply because
I feel like it's so unsettling without it.

Yes, I realize it's another eel, but I had to include
him because his eyes just make him look like a
cartoon.

It may look mean, but I can assure you, under
the surface it's just a big teddy bear.

The non-business end of a 12' shark.

I never get tired of seeing sharks - they are just
such amazing creatures. Oh, and thank you
for not eating me.

Inside the cave, there are several small bubble
caves 60 feet under water, where air expelled
from divers gets trapped (and there is still
oxygen in it, so it's breathable).

Cruisin' shark(s)...

Grey nurse sharks are actually endangered, sadly.
There's a chance they may disappear completely
within the next 20 years.

Ha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha!

This one was there last year - a humpback
grey nurse shark.

A sinisterly-lit rock cod.

A Textile cone snail - what I've just come to find
out (while writing this) is one of the 3 most
dangerous cone snails (of over 500).

A large double-spined lobster hanging out in a
nook in the cave = good eats.

Heading out of the shallow entrance of the cave,
surrounded by fish.

I actually started to get more worried about
the fish devouring me in a piranha-like frenzy
more than the sharks.

Getting up close and personal with another
wobbegong.

Sadly you can't capture audio in still images,
but I was screeching like a little girl when this
one swam right over my head.

The sun setting behind the lighthouse as we
head back to shore.

Also worth noting: while we were underwater, and though we didn't actually see any diving, if we were quiet, we were suddenly surrounded by whale songs. It was amazing.

Meanwhile, on dry land...

There were (large) kangaroos a-plenty out in the
fields at night. Sadly, they did not want to be
cuddled (and would have probably kicked me
in the face).

We had some time to kill one of the days due to
some less-than ideal dive conditions (i.e. - not
being able to see your own hand for the first 30'
of depth and massive currents), so we went to
the historic gaol (jail).

And what better place to host an art show
than at an old prison?

Some of the art was a bit on the
humorous side.

Griffon statue - can't recall whether this
was a part of the jail or part of the show.

The light of false hope shines through
a grate in one of the cells.

Creepy puppet things, shortly before they
came to life and pursued me around the open
courtyard, screeching audibly (me, not them).

Rustic mirror or portal to a distant laaaand -
you decide.

The view of the bay from just over the gaol walls.

After the gaol, we took a walk up to the
lighthouse to take in the view.

While we were up there, we spotted one of the
whales that was singing while we were diving.

The lighthouse against a rather sullen-looking
sky.

The view looking north from the lighthouse.

South West Rocks really is a fantastic place - I've found out recently it was listed on the 100 Great Things to do in Australia You've Never Heard Of list. 1 down, 99 to go!

No comments: