Saturday, October 10, 2009

Carnaval in the Hunter

We recently had our annual office-wide company offsite. Last year, you'll recall, it was spent skiing down south. This year, the venue would be the Hunter Valley, one of my favorite places in Australia outside of Sydney. 3 days and 2 nights spent in the wine region, with a ton of fun in store for all. The morning we left was also the morning of the dust storm - and the dust was apparently worse up north in the Hunter.

Vonnie and Fadhila - notice how everyone is
wearing the same hat. One of the many pieces
of sweet swag we got as a result of the Carnaval
theme.

I dunno, I think it's a good look for me...

While there was a portion of the offsite dedicated to actual work stuff, there were ample opportunities to have a bit of fun. For example, my team had not spent our quarterly offsite budget yet, so we decided to go horseback riding. It was quite stunning - the sun was shining, the wind blowing the tall grass, magpies swooped out of the sky to attack your head. Really magical.

Me and Rusty, who was generally well-behaved,
but who made a really dramatic scene when
walking downhill with me on his back.

While we waited for the one taxi in the Hunter
Valley to come pick us up, we entertained
ourselves with a few of the animals hanging around.
Anna, pictured here with Buddy, the happiest
little pooch you've ever seen.

There was also a very affectionate cat, who at
one point disappeared into a bag of sawdust
only to emerge completely covered in it.

The first evening there we had a fantastic pub quiz competition with 300 people, hosted by Lincoln, who dressed up as a bogan (the Aussie equivalent of a redneck). There really isn't a huge difference between the two - mullet, cut-off shorts, plaid sleeveless t-shirt. He was an awesome host, and the evening was great - mensa problems, balloon animal making, and my personal favorite, movie quotes (destroyed it). After an evening of drinking and dancing, most of us retired to bed to prepare for the next day.

After the work festivities were over the following day, and we had gone horseback riding, we all began to change into our costumes for the evening, which would bring the offsite's biggest party. Even better, it would be themed after Brazilian Carnaval, and everyone was encouraged to dress up. In my 4-and-a-half years, it was probably the best Google party I had ever attended. There were food stalls set up with Mexican, Indian, Asian, and American food (I think I had 4 massive tacos), and the mood was set with tiki torches burning in the darkness. Then, the party kicked off.

Out of the darkness emerged a massive Brazilian
percussion band, which immediately got
everyone dancing.

We also had dancers.

Bora and me - she was the only one who knew
that my mask was from Venetian Carnaval and
not Brazil. Curses!

At one point, the entertainment turned to
Capoeira dancers.

Fadhila and me - I wish I could say that the soft
filter was an artistic choice, but I'm fairly
certain I just touched the lens after eating my
tacos.

Fadhila post-lens-cleaning, with the
maracas we got as another part of
our swag.

The footballers, before things got rowdy.

Ashleigh and Joe, mid-meal.

Hooray for matching costumes!
The Golden Girls.

Jasper - part Brazilian, part Jamaican - and
Joel / Zorro.

The party rages on outside on the patio - which
was sadly right outside of some other guests'
rooms. They picked a bad week to come, I guess.

Verne, dressed up as...I really don't know.

Me and Victoria. I've discovered that the
amount of alcohol I consume is directly
proportional to the likelihood of me
making Magnum / Blue Steel / Le Tigre /
Ferrari faces in pictures.

Alan, our Engineering Site Director, maraca-ing
things up.

Isa and Roger. Little-known fact: Under the right
circumstances, a maraca can actually substitute
as a microphone.

Adam and Lu. Not shown: Lu's small shaker of
glitter, which she went around shaking on everyone.
I was still finding glitter in my hair several days
later.

What has been seen cannot be unseen - this is
one of the most disturbing photos of the evening.

Ashleigh and me...and my gills. My secret is out:
I am part mer-man.

The evening progressed (mostly) without incident, and eventually the party moved inside and continued into the wee hours of the morning. The following day, we had one last fun activity planned.

The following morning - guess who can't
take serious photos?

Ok ok ok, I'll give you one seri-DANGIT YOU
GUYS.

For our fun activity we did a wine blending and
cooking class. What better way to spend a day
after a party than drinking wine in the hot
sun at 10 in the morning?

Mark, apparently immune to or still recovering
from the night before. We only had one rule
at our table when it came to wine: if you spit
or tip, you leave the table.

After tasting several wines, we were then given
a mystery blend bottle and had to mix the
proper proportions of each wine to match
the bottle. Jon and Joe took it very seriously,
and in the end, we were SO close...

We then had to create our own blend, complete
with bottle label. Ours was named after the
blending process, which I developed. It was
mixed in the measuring beaker by capping one's
hand over the end and shaking vigorously.
shelves near you soon.

Laura demonstrates our unique blending process.

Because our grill was not working, the chef actually
cooked ours for us. Mark wanted everyone to
think otherwise though.

We enjoyed a fantastic meal in the sun. Watch
Mark closely - his steady decline has been
cataloged for later viewing.

Not looking so good...

His last living photo - lots of red wine + scorching
Aussie morning sun = not a good idea.

Anna relaxing before we all took the long bus
ride home. In the Hunter, beer glasses come
in '512-ounce Big Swig' sizes.

Isa - the event organizer, still alive after
very little sleep.

We boarded the buses to head home, arriving back into Sydney just in time for rush hour, making our return journey time around 3 hours. The good news is that I slept through most of it.

No comments: