Sunday, February 8, 2009

Ku-ring-gai Chase Park

Last weekend I took it upon myself to explore a bit more of the area surrounding Sydney, and I had heard great things about Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. It's a massive park, with a plethora of different areas to explore. Not wanting to spend my weekend lost in the bush fending off all manner of bush-dwelling critters, I decided to pick one of the easier hikes. Specifically, one that went through the wildflower garden. To my knowledge, Australia does not possess any inherently dangerous flora.

As with all weekend excursions I attempt, my trip was naturally hindered by trackwork on the Sydney Rail system. What should have been a single train ride required 2 buses, a shorter train, and a very long walk. Ah well - life's an adventure, I suppose. It also happened to be ridiculously warm that day.

Annnnnnyway...

I finally arrived at the portion of the park which contained the wildflower garden. In hindsight, I must speak with someone regarding their trail naming conventions, as I did not happen upon a single flower during the hike, wild or otherwise. BUT, I did find some other slightly more interesting things.

Only a minute or 2 into the hike and something caught my eye just off the path (which happened to be nicely-paved). In the brown grass, I saw the raised head of a little Lace Monitor. Now, when I say 'little,' you have to remember that I am in Australia and little = 2 feet long. I slowly approached it and got a closer look. It was just sunning itself, and made no move to scamper away. Quite in awe of discovering something so neat in my first few minutes, I observed it for a bit before moving on.

Me attempting to get a picture of the little lace
monitor with my phone, since my camera, yet
again, had a dead battery.

Here's a slightly closer picture of the little fella.

Another 15 minutes or so into my hike, and I heard a rustling in the bush just off the path again, behind a large tree. Thinking that the louder noise might be as a result of a small bush mammal such as a wallaby or an echidna, I peered around the tree for a better look. Suddenly, right in front of me, something clawed its way up the tree to about chest height. It was not cute, nor was it cuddly. It was the little monitor's big brother.

This one was bigger. Much bigger. No, bigger
than that.

Nose to tail, this larger one measured what was
easily 6 feet long. Its claws were nearly as big
as my hands, and it has nasty curving talons.
Not something you want to try and pet - even
I can admit that.

I'm fairly certain I was being followed by this
one, as this photo was taken a few minutes
later down the path a bit.

As I approached the modern day dinosaur to get subsequently closer and closer shots, it soon became quite obvious that it was not at all pleased to have me so close. It let out a hiss I can only describe as being more suited to a cat or velociraptor. The final photo I got of it was quite blurry, as I was in the process of leaping backward.

While having lunch in a clearing, I saw a swamp wallaby go leaping across the grass. Naturally, I ran after it with a handful of crackers. Following it into the bush, it quickly outran me, but just as I was slowing to a halt, another (different) lizard scurried out from underneath my feet. I wasn't entirely certain what it was, but it appeared to be something similar to a small iguana. Having decided that I could have very well trodden upon a snake, I very quickly made my way back out of the heavy bush.

No comments: